Download the 66 page Design Guideline Manual from the City of Westminster.
The following is an excerpt from the Manual:
The purpose of these design guidelines is to assure quality design of developments within the city that promote the health, safety and general welfare of the community by maintaining and enhancing the man-made environment. The guidelines contained in this document are tools to be used by developers during the project design phase and by City decision-makers during the development review process. It is the goal of these design guidelines to encourage creative architectural and site planning solutions consistent with the overall context of surrounding commercial, industrial and residential developments.
The design guidelines have been established to ensure the following:
1. Establish quality development that focuses on community design principles that result in creative and imaginative solutions.
2. Orderly and harmonious appearance of structures along with associated facilities such as signs, landscaping, parking areas, refuse storage areas, etc.
3. Prevention of incompatible design and development types.
4. Incorporation of architectural design quality and details on all sides of a structure. (360-degree architecture).
5. Maintenance of the public health, safety and general welfare.
6. Implementation of the General Plan policies which encourage the preservation and enhancement of the particular character and unique assets of the City.
7. Elimination of visual blight.